topbella

Saturday, August 17, 2013

Step by Step to a Squeaky Clean Brush

I LOVE my makeup brushes and I use them in my everyday makeup routine. Many of us invest in expensive makeup brushes like MAC brushes and we want to keep them in the best shape as much possible. I've read and tried different techniques on how to clean brushes like using antibacterial dish soaps, brush cleaners, olive and the list goes on. Alot of these products, however, contain ingredients that can destroy the quality of your brushes, some are also quite expensive. I know the MAC brush cleanser is about P700 or $15 which really does cost a lot for something you can easily have the same results for under P100 or $2.



My Secret weapon is.... Johnson's baby shampoo!!! It works great for your sensitive brushes and it's cost effective. It's gentle on your brushes while leaving it smooth and clean. It's soap free and hypoallergenic as well which is always a plus for people with sensitive skin. 



The items you'll be needing are:
1. Johnson's baby shampoo
2. Plastic container (to put your soap into)
3. Water
4. Towel
5. Pot Stand (optional) WHUUTTT???

                                                                                                                 
So first things first! Choose the brushes you want to clean and start your brush laundry day by squeezing a generous amount of shampoo into the container. I used the top of a takeout bowl from a Japanese restaurant I recently ate at. So as long as its clean you can use it.
Dip the brush in warm water. DO NOT wash brushes in HOT WATER because they tend to melt the glue that holds the brush bristles together causing your brushes to shed! So make sure it's just warm! 
Mix the brush with the shampoo and get a generous amount on it while swirling it around the the container. Get as much shampoo as you can. 

Massage the bristles on your palm and just keep on swirling. Treat your brushes as you would treat your own hair. So massage them gently but don't pull on them. 
After the thorough massage, run the brush through warm water. Careful not to overly tilt your brushes. You don't want the water going into the brush. So always try to keep the bristles down when washing your brushes. 
Squeeze the brush firmly to get rid of any excess water. Check to see the cleanliness of the brush. The more you use the brush the more product sticks to the brush. So they are harder to clean. You may need to repeat the process if you aren't satisfied with the outcome. For me, the first time was enough to get rid of all the products that were on my brushes. (Sorry for the nails, I really need a manicure I know!)
Place your clean brushes on a clean towel. Make sure you elevate the handle of the brush so that the bristles are still facing downward. You can use pretty much anything to keep your brushes elevated. I used my Schneider pen bundle. Who thought that it had another purpose other than writing. LOL. 



     

Leave the brushes for a couple of minutes so that the excess water will be absorbed by the towel or you can choose to let them dry there for the whole night. But I actually prefer another way of drying my brushes. 

Ta-Da! Remember the pot stand at the beginning? Well I found another use for it! It's the perfect brush stand! It keeps the brushes upright preventing it from accumulating excess water and moisture. This also allows for equal drying time for your brushes. I bought this rack for about P60 or $1.50 and its multipurpose function will not waste your money! I suggest you get one for your brushes! 

So... for comparison of the cleaned brush to the uncleaned ones here are pictures of my favorite brushes!
Buffing Brush: I use this for my BB cream and foundation as well as blending of my concealer


Foundation Brush


MAC 168 Contour Brush: I love this brush so much! It's perfect for contouring and applying blush! A must have!


MAC 239 Flat Brush: I use this often when applying eyeshadow especially when I use my Naked Palette! Love this brush!


MAC 219 Pencil Brush: Great brush for smudging eyeliners. Perfect for smokey eyes!


MAC 217 Blending Brush: This has to be my favorite eyeshadow brush of all time! It's perfect for applying and blending as well! I never leave without this brush. 


I really hope that this tutorial helped. I really had a hard time figuring out what cleansers to use for my brushes before stumbling upon Johnson's baby shampoo! So I hope it works as well as it has worked for me! Thanks for reading and Good luck! Keep those brushed clean!











0 comments:

Post a Comment

Get to know ME!